Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bittersweet Birthday

This morning is my 24th Birthday. Started off great.  Wearing a new outfit my mom bought me. Maria came to my room first thing this morning to give me my present.  A picture frame with a picture of me with all of my students that came to see my show on Saturday night.  I have been feeling extremely blessed lately. I have a great husband who is so good to me, and a job where my students care about me and I care so much about them.  Unfortunately, as I was sitting at my desk first period, literally reading an article in the commercial appeal about the "live in" issue Shelby County Schools is facing currently, in walks one of my brightest new students with his arms full of text books.  From the look on his face, I knew something was wrong.  He told me, " They don't believe that I live with my grandmother so they are kicking me out of school and sending me back to Southwind."  My heart sank.  They can't do that! This boy in the first three and a half weeks has shown more potential to succeed than any student I have taught in 2 years.  He is so smart.  SO polite.  So creative.  So kind. He even sold his coupon books! He thanks me at the end of each lesson for teaching.  

He continued to tell me the whole reason he wanted to come to Germantown was to do theatre.  He had already been volunteering to work in our box office during his study hall.  He has been waiting for play auditions to roll around. I am so angry and sad about this.  I understand that our school is crowded.  I understand that there are a lot of students that should not be enrolled here.  But this is a good kid.  And to lose him this morning.  Really broke my heart.  

Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww Kirie!!! That is SOOO sad!!! That stinks! He thanks you after each lesson?! That's so sweet...what a good kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap....can the grandma not provide a notarized statement or maybe his parents are just idiots!!!

    ReplyDelete