Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thanks Mom and Dad!

This blog post is in dedication to my mom and dad, a.k.a Marcie and DJ Tony T.  

Yesterday I had an experience at work that really made me grateful for my mom and dad.  Not because they fed me, clothed me, took me on semi-fun vacations (I only say "semi" because a few of those week long car trips have caused me to HATE road trips), and made sure I got good grades in school, and made me go to church, the list could go on and on.  But I am grateful to them for teaching me to be a decent human being.  They taught me to be respectful to adults.  

Neither of my parents are from the south, but we have been here in Memphis since I was but a wee babe.  My mom NEVER made me reply with a "yes ma'am" in our house, but I distinctly remember before every slumber party I ever went to my mother firmly telling me, "you better say 'yes ma'am' and 'yes sir' to so and so's parents!"  And I always did! 

Now I am by no means claiming that I was never a mouthy, smart alec teenager.  I willingly admit that I got ISS for three days for mouthing off to my Anatomy teacher my senior year of high school.  But I also, on my own accord, genuinely apologized to my teacher when I went back to class because I knew I was out of line.  

On days like yesterday, I think I am being punished for those times I was a jerk in high school.  I witnessed a student who is supposedly a stand-up student, top of the class, leader in our school treat me (an adult) and her fellow classmates with complete disrespect.  After class I called her up and tried to talk with her about the importance of respecting people and her response to me was appalling.  She treated me as if I was dirt under her shoe, as if I didn't have the right to judge her behavior.  

I left that class thinking, "If I EVER acted like that towards an adult, my parents would have beat the mess out of me."  

So thanks Mom and Dad.  I am glad my parents cared about me enough to teach me how to behave.    



1 comment:

  1. Haha, I think "mouthy, smart alec teenager" Kirie was the manifestation of an inherent sassiness that you've had since I can remember. It really surprised me when I discovered most people weren't that way, a realization that I didn't have for many years. Haha

    I wish I could go back and watch all the absurd and hilarious situations I'd end up with you and Matthew. "Lick the carpet" still seems like the ultimate degradation... And the times where I would be talking to you and you'd say, "What was that, Matthew? Did you hear something?", which would then continue for an indefinite period. You guys were delightfully bratty bigger siblings. :) But I agree that you managed to turn out alright.

    ReplyDelete